[Bioperl-l] Re: Bio::Tools::Run prepare executions [was Re:bioperl-run Codeml.pm fix_blength]

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at duke.edu
Thu Aug 4 14:20:13 EDT 2005

On Aug 3, 2005, at 11:00 AM, Albert Vilella wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Having thought about the previous thread on changing tempdir as a
> settable value in Bio::Tools::Run::WrapperBase (Jason? should we?)...

i think it will be fine to do those changes if I remember correctly
what they were... =)
> ...I wonder if it may be interesting (at least it would for me) to
> have something like a "prepare" method for the execution wrappers in
> Bio::Tools::Run.
>
> What I'm looking for is a way to create the dirs corresponding to the
> analysis one wants to conduct. The "prepare" method would create, but
> not execute, the dir with the ready-to-run elements of the executables
> according to the various input data files and parameters.
>
> Right now, we have a "run" method that first prepares the elements
> needed for the execution and then runs the program.
>
> We also have container objects for program results in bioperl-live.
>
> This "prepare" method might be useful for people wanting to generate
> sets of analysis for further execution on queueing-based systems or
> similar scheduled execution situations.

Sure - this sounds fine- I guess part of the prepare step, though is
preparing the arguments to send to the programs.
Do you want to capture these arguments as well?
My understanding is the BioPipe system (which may not have many devs
now) tried make this possible by encoding the input options to the
Perl modules in an XML file which was loaded into the pipeline db.
http://www.genome.org/cgi/content/abstract/13/8/1904

But I'm definitely open to some other ideas about how this should be
done and the idea of a prepare step seems great (especially if we
break out a cleanup step as well and insure that every run cmd does a
prepare, execute, cleanup cycle.

Thanks for jumping in on this - I think your ideas and intuition here
are right on the mark and I think a more systematic approach on the
parts needed to run an external program should be spelled out in the
code.

-jason

--
Jason Stajich