[Bioperl-l] help on pdb

Ed Green ed at compbio.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 29 15:04:29 EDT 2004

Dear Ani-
May I make a few suggestions?  You may want to extract the sequence
based on their secondary structure labels by running a secondary
structure calling program like STRIDE or DSSP on the PDB file first.
There are bioperl modules for handling this output, which I wrote
(Bio::Structure::SecStr::*).  This may be better for your purpose
because the secondary structure annotations in the PDB files themselves
are author contributed and are not based on a standard definition of
secondary structure element characteristics.  On the other hand, this
may not matter for you.

Also be aware that missing data (failure of ths structure solution to
resolve atoms or residues) may yield false "breaks" in secondary structure.

Good luck!

Ed Green