[Bioperl-l] Reconstructing BLAST output

Will Spooner whs at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Oct 29 06:19:36 EDT 2004

The way that the Ensembl system works is as follows;

- Run the search (Bio::Tools::Run::Search, not yet in BioPerl),
- Parse the report (Bio::SearchIO),
- Save the parsed Bio::Search::Result objects to a MySQL database.

For the final step I needed to;

- Write a Bio::Root::Storable class that provides inheritable methods for
  serialising BioPerl objects. This is in BioPerl, but an updated version
  will be added,

- Create a Bio::Search::Result::StorableResult that inherets Storable,
  and similar modules for Hit and HSP,

- Write a Bio::Root::Storable compliant adaptor to connect to the MySQL
  database.

Implementation code looks a bit like this;

  # Storing
  my $adaptor = Bio::EnsEMBL::External::BlastAdaptor->new( @args );
  my $result  = $searchio->next_result();
  my $ticket  = $result->store( $adaptor );
  # Retrieving
  my $result = Bio::Root::Storable->retrieve( $ticket, $adaptor );

For different schemas you would simply need a customised adaptor module.
Does this tie in with your ideas Jason?

All the code is in Ensembl/BioPerl CVS. An overview document is available
from;
  http://www.ensembl.org/Docs/linked_docs/BlastView_search_api.pdf
  (caveat - quite old, some differences from current system)

Will