[Bioperl-l] automating data analysis?

KB kab2000@comcast.net
Sun Jan 19 20:31:26 EST 2003

I am new to Perl and BioPerl, so this post may not appropriate for this forum-  please advise where I might begin to look for info.

We are a novice Proteomics lab without access to experienced bioinformatics people to help us automate some of our operations. Our immediate need is to do the following: automatically detect when a large Mass spec data file is complete (one generated approx every 2 hours), move that file to another machine, run an analysis program (Sequest) with the file against several different databases. I know this is probably very trivial- I'm guessing using Windows 2000 "Scheduled Task" to run a .BAT to start Perl scripts that determine if a file has stopped being modified (="closed"?) and then use system commands to copy the file to the appropriate directory, then other perl scripts to spawn the searches.

My question is: does anyone know where I can find an example of some scripted data flow solution like that so I can start to figure out a good solution for our own lab? Many thanks,

Kathy