Bioperl under cygwin revisited RE: [Bioperl-l] Bioperl 1.2 Releas ed

Nash, John john.nash@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 17:44:54 -0500

Late is better than never? In the case of good news, perhaps.

If you recall, bioperl 1.2 didn't want to install under cygwin because of
"line too long" errors in 'make'.  Kludging the testing was ok, but if it
won't install, what's the point?  I had read somewhere on a Perl Mailing
list that this whole "line too long" problem with  pm_to_blib could be a
MakeMaker issue.

I installed perl 5.8, and redid the tests, etc on the fresh release with
mostly good results. (I suppose I could have just upgraded MakeMaker, but
cygwin is a pain with two versions of Perl, so I went to 5.8).  Here's the
log:

- Installing Bundle::BioPerl should be done by hand as a couple of tests do
fail (LWP for one) - the CPAN module gets upset and quits.  This is no
different to perl 5.6.1.

- "perl Makefile.PL" may result in you having to "rebase" /bin/cygz.dll"
from a Cmd shell in Windows proper. It was another DLL with perl 5.6.1.

- "make" actually makes!  The blib tree is built properly!  This is better
than with perl 5.6.1

- "make test" works - the "Index.t" and "SearchIO.t" test still fail exactly
as I reported with perl 5.6.1.  There is a new failed test with perl 5.8:

/usr/bin/perl.exe "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0,
'blib/lib', 'b
lib/arch')" t/*.t
t/BioGraphics................FAILED test 2
        Failed 1/14 tests, 92.86% okay

<JN: here is the failed result from "perl t/BioGraphics.t">
not ok 2
# Failed test 2 in t/BioGraphics.t at line 122 fail #2

- "make install" works - unlike with perl 5.6.1

- a couple of test scripts I wrote run :)

Hope this helps,

John - (on holidays in Toronto with too much time on my hands).