[Bioperl-l] Algorithm::Cluster for clustering gene expression data

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Mon Apr 28 13:19:09 EDT 2003

During 2002, our laboratory developed a library of C routines that
implement various clustering methods commonly used to analyze gene
expression data. These include hierarchical (pairwise single-, maximum-,
centroid-, and average-linkage) clustering, k-means clustering, and
self-organizing maps on a 2D rectangular topology. We generated this
library with the use of scripting languages in mind.

Recently John Nolan of the University of California, Santa Cruz
developed a Perl interface to the clustering library. Hoping that this
module will be useful to the Perl and Bioperl community, we have made it
available on CPAN and at
http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/%7Emdehoon/software/cluster, where you
can also find a manual.

To install, download Algorithm-Cluster-1.17.tar.gz, unpack, and
run perl Makefile.PL; make; make test; make install as usual. (The
version number is based on the underlying C library). The source
distribution contains a test suite and a number of example Perl scripts.
For users of ActiveState's Perl on Windows, use the Perl Package Manager
ppm as in (on one line)
ppm install
http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mdehoon/software/cluster/Algorithm-Cluster.ppd

One caveat: The module currently does not work on Cygwin. Cygwin's Perl
seems to have problems understanding floating point values. No problems
were detected on Windows with ActiveState's Perl, Mac OS X, Unix, and Linux.

This software was released under the GNU Lesser General Public License.
Bug reports and suggestions for improvement (better yet, patches) are
most welcome.

And thanks again, John.

Michiel de Hoon
University of Tokyo, Human Genome Center.

--
Michiel de Hoon, Assistant Professor
University of Tokyo, Institute of Medical Science