[Bioperl-l] Project suggestion: Restriction Enzyme Analysis

Rob Edwards redwards at utmem.edu
Wed Apr 16 21:24:33 EDT 2003

At the moment the implementation of "cutting" the sequence is exactly as
Steve wrote, it uses splice and sticks the appropriate part of the enzyme
recognition sequence back on the fragment.

This is limited, especially for recognition sequences with redundant
nucleotides, and needs rewriting (see the bugzilla page for more discussion
about this from Steve). That re-write could also include this function.
Presumably you'd want the 3' fragments to be the whole reverse-complemented
sequence.

I have also been thinking about some way to display cut sites without
actually cutting the sequence (e.g. a plasmid restriction map).

There are two ways that this is usually done:

1) The ASCII display with the sequence (+/- a 6-frame translation) with the
restriction enzyme above it in the appropriate location. Is there a bioperl
implementation of something like this that could be adapted?

2) The graphics implementation of the sequence as a line or circle with the
enzymes at their appropriate locations. Presumably this could become part of
Bio::Graphics?

Ideas?

Rob