[Bioperl-l] What is MPsrch?

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Apr 16 18:57:44 EDT 2003

Yes.

In the side bar, link "MPsrch Help":

"MPsrch is a biological protein sequence comparison tool that implements
the true Smith and Waterman algorithm. It runs a search on a HP/COMPAQ
cluster, a family of massively parallel computers. It allows an
exhaustive search in a reasonable computational time. MPsrch utilises an
exhaustive algorithm, which is recognised as the most sensitive sequence
comparison method available, whereas Blast utilises a heuristic one,
which speeds up searches by reducing the complexity of the problem. As a
consequence, MPsrch is capable of identifying hits in cases where Blast
fails with fewer false hits."

	-Heikki