[Bioperl-l] Types of relationships

David Block dblock@gnf.org
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:25:42 -0700

Following the discussion about IdentifiableI etc., and talking to Mark
on my recent trip home, this sounds like a good time to throw into the
ring the need for ...
drumroll...
yet another ontology!

This would be an ontology, or at least a controlled vocab, that
describes different types of relationships between two entities.
Not everything is just 'homologous'.  DbXRefs can point to synonyms,
homologs, orthologs, translations (DNA/RNA/AA),
parents/children/siblings in trees, etc.

So it needs to be done somewhere, and then once someone does it, we'll
wrap it up and put it in BioSQL and use it.

I'm *not* volunteering right now, but I'm hoping someone does. :-)

Shalom,
--
David Block                                  dblock@gnf.org
GNF - San Diego, CA             http://www.gnf.org