[Bioperl-l] Module names

Jason Eric Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 20:49:43 -0400 (EDT)

We don't really have a policy laid out in the wiki for module naming
standards but I wondered if we should.

Dave should Bio::SeqFeature::Gene::utr be Bio::SeqFeature::Gene::UTR ?
or Utr ?  And Bio::SeqFeature::Gene::poly_A_site be Poly_A_site ?  Just
checking if we should try and enforce a standard before we approach
releases.

My proposal would be all modules start with a capital letter unless (as in
the case of SeqIO/AlignIO modules) there is a specific reason to make them
lowercase.  Taking it one step further perhaps - all modules which one
expects to instantiate directly (imagine there is a general Bioperl API)
should start with a capital letter?
If there are better ideas, feel free to voice them.

-jason
--
Jason Stajich
Duke University