[Bioperl-l] Talking at BOSC???

David Block dblock@gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Wed, 23 May 2001 14:29:57 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Ewan Birney wrote:

> For people who haven't seen the flyers, the due date for BOSC for
> registration is the end of this month - as is ISMB's registration.
> BOSC is running just before ISMB.

I'm in!

> I'd love to see a strong bioperl presence giving talks at BOSC - we are
> after all the oldest of the open source bioinformatics projects (well...
> depends if you count EGCG... hey ho). If you are coming to BOSC and one
> of the bioperl developers, please consider submitting an abstract.

I'll figure out something...

> I will be submitting an abstract on Bioperl-db: Rough Draft below

Thanks for stealing my thunder, Ewan :)

Ewan's bioperl-db is a much more general implementation of what I've been
working on over the last year, integrated into Workbench->Genquire.

I'll probably just talk about the choices made in building the Genquire
backend.  I hope to move it to a middleware model, where the database
layer is served to the user via multiple channels, depending on which
client the user is running.  I hope Genquire will be able to serve and
receive:
CORBA
DAS
SQL over TCP (current implementation)
XML-SOAP (DAS or other general protocol)

That will make Genquire an extremely flexible tool for viewing, creating
and editing annotations.

See you all there!

-Dave

--