[Bioperl-l] Bio::Seq->delete_SeqFeature missing?

Malcolm Cook Malcolm.Cook@ppgx.com
Mon, 7 May 2001 18:14:48 -0700

I note that there are no methods for deleting features from a Bio::Seq
object.

Am I off base in wanting/expecting to find one?

Here's why I want it:

I've got to parse files that more-or-less conform to GENBANK format, except
for that my users have been adding 'funny' features using non-standard
terms.

Since I don't need to re-write these files with these 'funny features', I
simply defined a SeqIO format by creating an object, call it mygb, that
inherits from SeqIO::Genbank, with a next_seq method as follows:

sub next_seq{
  my($self,@args) = @_;
  my $seq = $self->SUPER::next_seq(@args);
  return unless $seq;
  foreach my $feat ($seq->top_SeqFeatures() ) {
   .. massage the features

After selected features are 'massaged' I want to $seq->delete_SeqFeature it.

Make sense?

This all works fine except for not being able to delete them features.

Thanks,

Malcolm Cook