[Bioperl-l] bioperl-db revival

David Block dblock@gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:04:25 -0600 (CST)

I've got most of this done already, on MySQL.  If you want to look, I can
give you the code (it's part of WB2, which has been released free to
non-profits).  If you take parts of it, great.

You would need to clean up the namespace,  (I could be helping with this),
and the wrappers to Flybase/ensembl would be a welcome addition to my
schema.  It outputs SeqI and SeqFeatureI compliant objects.

I use an inherited AUTOLOAD, which you don't like, I know, but combined
with some fancy dynamic SQL generation, it lets you have
'entry-granularity mutability' for almost nothing in terms of coding or
maintenance.  For things to behave properly, you need a compile time 'use'
list of autoloaded subs, and a hash with the keys being the table columns.

It is all an evolved form of Damian Conway's example CD class in OOPerl,
and it has been fairly stable for about six months.  I've only added on
things that Workbench needs.

Anyone who wants a look, let me know.

-Dave