[Bioperl-l] Bioperl 0.7 release.

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 23:29:59 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Chervitz, Steve wrote:

> Regarding the Blast modules, I'm glad to see Ian's code make it into the
> release, since the maintenance of my modules has been lagging. I have been
> working on revamping them for improved maintainability, but progress  has
> slowed lately (new baby, new company, etc.). Is there still an interest to
> have a heavyweight Blast parser such as Bio::Tools::Blast, or  will BPLite
> suffice for all Blast parsing/running needs?

I would have thought the "right" thing to do would be to provide a set of
add-ons/extensions to BPlite which made it more heavy - perhaps for
example making an in memory data structure first off.

If this was possible then I suspect that we can satisify both people who
ewant all the bells and whistles (like ->html_dump) with a lean-mean-core
of BLAST parsing.

Does this sync with you? would this be possible?