[Bioperl-l] pod syntax check on branch-07 starting

Hilmar Lapp hilmarl@yahoo.com
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 15:54:21 -0800

Heikki Lehvaslaiho wrote:

> The pod syntax in branch-07 is now ready for release.
>
> To recheck the POD syntax, run the following commands in the bioperl root
> directory (in Linux):

Thanks Heikki. I can imagine that some kinds of error were
re-occurring all over the place. If so, would you mind putting up
a summary about how to avoid such errors on Wiki, e.g., as
addition to BioperlProgrammingConventions?

BTW I've recently tried to edit that page in order to add a
guideline about filename path coding in test scripts, but it
wouldn't let me do so. Maybe there's a stale lockfile again. It is
probably also a good idea to put up a little guideline about how
to create tempfiles in your module.

> under '=head1 SYNOPSIS' which should not be empty. The only warnings issued
> by podchecker at the moment are:
>
> ./Bio/SeqIO/game/featureHandler.pm does not contain any pod commands.
> ./Bio/SeqIO/game/idHandler.pm does not contain any pod commands.
> ./Bio/SeqIO/game/seqHandler.pm does not contain any pod commands.
>
> It would be nice to have game parsing docs at some point.

It should be documented in SeqIO/game.pm. The others are just
helper modules not intended for outside usage. (I agree that it is
still a good idea to add documentation in order to facilitate
maintainability by others than only the original author.)

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                              email: hlapp@gmx.net
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                phone: +1 858 812 1757