[Bioperl-l] bug #900: Bio::SeqIO::swiss.pm - gene names

Hilmar Lapp hilmarl@yahoo.com
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 01:29:15 -0800

Jason Stajich wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>
> > I think the best and straight forward approach is to allow for
> > multiple gene names in Bio::Annotation. I see 2 options:
> >
> > 1) Add add_secondary_gene_name() and each_secondary_gene_name(),
> > with obvious meanings.
> > 2) Add add_gene_name() and each_gene_name(), and make gene_name()
> > (which already exists) deprecated (when called, returns the first
> > element of the array each_gene_name() returns).
> This seems the most backwardly compatible, but also moving towards a
> more accurate model so I vote for 2.

Done. It would be nice if someone could jump in and dig up a
real-world test case, i.e., a swissprot entry that indeed has
multiple gene names. Ideally we can add a test to SeqIO.t ... (I
relied on / OR / being the delimiter, as given in the bug report.)

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                              email: hlapp@gmx.net
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                phone: +1 858 812 1757