[Bioperl-l] clustering algorithms in BioPerl

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:53:13 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Frank Gibbons wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been lurking for about a month. I've checked out the BioPerl homepage,
> including the list of projects. I notice that the bias is heavily towards
> sequence analysis (naturally).
>
> Right now I'm working on implementing a few clustering algorithms
> (priority #3 on the list of projects) in Perl, for use with DNA
> microarray data (priority #4 on the list!). The algorithms themselves
> are quite general, and have been around for a while, but I can find
> few references to implementations of them in Perl. (I have seen
> mention of Jong Park's Geanfammer package, as a possible source for
> clustering, but as far as I can see he implements only single-linkage
> clustering there.) I think they would be quite useful to the Perl
> community as a whole, and I would like to write them in as generic a
> way as possible, which is why I'm writing to the list now, having
> implemented only one particular algorithm, before I write any more!

I think we would love this...

> So, my questions are:
>
> * Is this appropriate for BioPerl in the first place? Would it be more
> suitable for CPAN? The algorithms are general, but my focus is on
> BioInformatics.

Possible more suitable for a straight CPAN. Not sure. Perhaps CPAN modules
with then a Bioperl stubs/docs to works things from there. Whatever you
feel comfortable with.