[Bioperl-l] Re: Gene Interfaces in Bioperl 0.7; Review of bioperl 0.7 from Ensembl

Lukasz Huminiecki lucash@ebi.ac.uk
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:04:17 +0000 (GMT)

Ewan, Hilmar,

How to decide on the size of a promoter? Certainly, it ends at a
transcript starting point, but where does it start? It's hard to be
certain where biologically active elements are. For most wet-labs, it
would be 'as much as we have cloned', really.

For genes, in contrast to transcripts, there could be, of course, multiple
promoter end-points as well. For example, dystrophin and utrophin (Kay
Davies, Oxford) are known to have multiple starting points. Some
transcripts have different tissue-specificty; utrophin normally expressed
in muscle/neuronal junctions seems to have an endothelial-specific
transcript (!?).

Cheers,

Lukasz
(Hi, I am a new member of the ENSEMBL team!)