[Bioperl-l] Downloading UID Lists

Francis Ouellette Francis Ouellette <francis@cmmt.ubc.ca>
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 23:20:41 -0800 (PST)

Dear David,

not really a bioperl question, but you need to add "&dispmax=some_mumber"
where "some_number" is the number of hits you want back.

I should warn you that this kind of use of the NCBI server is quite
excessive, and you should try other venues, like batch entrez, where
it's easy to get all 80 or 100,000 uids (gi numbers) with minimal
impact (batch entrez sets up a simple ftp session with all of the
data transfred at once). Unfortunatly, the batch entrez documentation
doesn't tell you how to write URLs to get this, but I'm sure
info@ncbi.nlm.nih.gov (or Sergei Shavirin, the Batch Entrez
creator, maintainer and talented author) would be happy to help you.

batch entrez is found at:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Entrez/batch.html

(but like I said, not really a bioperl question :-)

cheers,

f.

--
| B.F. Francis Ouellette                      Tel: (604) 875-3815 |
| Director, Bioinformatics Core Facility      Fax: (425) 740-6978 |