[Biocorba-l] Re: [Bioperl-l] SeqFeature proposal

Matthew Pocock mrp@sanger.ac.uk
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:27:23 +0000

Alan Robinson wrote:

> Ewan et al,
>
> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Ewan Birney wrote:
>
> > In a road-to-damascus like experience (on the M25, in driving rain if
> > anyone is interested) I saw a new layout of feature and location objects.
> >
> > The layout would be
> >

> >    - simple for simple cases
> >
> >    - complex for complex cases
> >
> >    - could cope with the dreaded fuzziness.
> >
> >    - strongly typed
>
> I'm very interested to see if/how this effects our discussions with the
> proposed new Bicorba interface.
>
> But first, could you clarify what you consider "complex"? Is a complex
> 'location' still a 'joining' of Range objects (as it would appear). Or
> could it also be made to handle other GenBank/EMBL location operators such
> as 'order' and 'one-of'? i.e. an 'operator' method in ParentLocationI that
> would describe what to do with the elements of the 'SubLocation' array,
> e.g. 'join', 'order', etc.
>
> cheers,
> al

Hi Alan,

Hope you get over the flying soon.

For my money, the information about what to do with the locations is semantic
and belongs in the feature. E.g. a CDS feature knows that it has to join each
child range that represents a region of coding exon. I think to put this info
into the location hierachy itself encourages data publishers to produce overly
complex location hierachies rather than using hierachies of features (which
should be easier to understand).

Matthew