Bioperl: Re: Bio/Ext/Align on Win32

Dr Nicolas Le Novere nl223@cus.cam.ac.uk
Sat, 13 May 2000 18:31:00 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Ewan Birney wrote:

> > I tried to make this (ver 0.6) on Win32 and it failed miserably. I can
> > fix it to compile to a DLL (two .c files in lib/ needed editing for MS
> > compiler plus some compiler switches, etc) but I don't know if this is
> > what it is trying to "make". Should it be a LIB to link against? The
> > make info seems to be UNIX specific. I'm running Perl 5.005.03 on NT
> > with MSVC++6.0. I want this package to run Bio::Tools::pSW. Thanks in
> > advance.

As a general issue, MSVC++ is generally not the best tool to port
programs not written with him. In particular,

(1)- The nmake program do not behave exactly the way gnu make behaves.
(2)- Some makefiles function well with nmake on the command-line
("dos window") but not from within MSVC++.

I had problems to compile even straigthforward programs. I installed
DJGPP, the port of GCC to Win32, which also includes gnu make
and solved all my problems.

See http://www.delorie.com/djgpp

--
Dr Nicolas Le Novère                   e-mail: nl223@cus.cam.ac.uk
Dpt Zoology, Univ Cambridge, Downing street, Cambridge CB2 3EJ, UK