[Bioperl-l] Re: The open bioinformatics foundation.

J.W. Bizzaro jeff@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 16:22:43 +0000

Ewan Birney wrote:

> I storngly hope that bioinformatics.org will be considered as part of the
> same community as the bio* projects... which means I guess
> bioinformatics.org should be one of the sister sites listed on the bio*
> home pages.

Bioinformatics.org: The Open Lab was established in 1998 to host all sorts of
Free and Open projects in bioinformatics research, development, and
information.  Although we are not quite as old as BioPerl, and have not yet
been used to host any of the Bio* projects, I believe that we are all working
toward the same goal and should perhaps consolidate our efforts and resources.

The Open Lab is a community-run site with volunteers contributing from all
over the world.  We have 4 people on the Board of Directors, 3 on the Board of
Advisors, and 4 administrators.  And that's not to mention 163 members, 9
development projects, and 13+ websites.

I therefore suggest that there may be substantial overlap between the mission
of The Open Lab and that of the proposed Open Bioinformatics Foundation.

Perhaps conference funding is beyond the scope of The Open Lab, and if that is
the primary goal of The Open Bioinformatics Foundation, maybe it should be
called the "BOSC Foundation"?

Cheers.
Jeff
--