Bioperl: Code reuse for EMBL-like data

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:50:36 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Kris Boulez wrote:

> I need to parse sequences which I get from a GCG database (using
> 'fetch'). The data is very 'embl-like', it only has a few additional
> tags.
>
> I can just make a copy of embl.pm and add the additional fields, but I
> wonder if there isn't a better way of "code reuse".

I think this is the best way. If this becomes a common occurence we can
start putting in hooks into embl.pm or doing some inheritance stuff.
This is going to get messy very fast.

Basic rule:

New data format -> new SeqIO module.

copy-and-paste is not so bad here. (well... reasonably bad, but not
dreadful).