Bioperl: EMBL format without ID/AC/DE/OS

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:37:55 +0100 (BST)

On 12 Apr 2000, Keith James wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At the moment the EMBL SeqIO module requires certain things of an EMBL
> entry. Some are quite explicit (throws exception if ID is missing),
> while others are less so (dies with Perl pattern matching error if DE
> and OS are missing).

The silent death is definitely bad. I think we have to keep somethings (eg
an ID?) otherwise it will be almost impossible to know when we are not
parsing EMBL.

Otherwise, loosening the parser is fine. I don't think that optional
things (eg, DE lines) even warrant issueing a warning.

coping with any-order of tags before the FT line might be interesting.
Have fun - make sure you are doing this on the main trunk...