Bioperl: New list management, bug fixing rules

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:14:32 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Steve Chervitz wrote:

> Maybe we should leave it up to the developer to decide how to get
> their fixes from the branch to the trunk. They can repeat the fix in
> the trunk if it's simple, or do a cvs merge if the fix is more
> involved. If someone is planning to do a merge, they should inform the
> group well in advance.

This is absolutely what I was imagining. cvs merge can be done on
individual files/directories, so a developer can use the merge facillities
if she/he so wishes. global, across the repository merges should be rare.

The important thing is that it is the responsbility of the person making
the bug fix to propagate it. Whether one uses cvs tools to do that or not
is up to them ;)

> It would be a good idea to spell out our policy somewhere on the
> website.

Yup. I think we need a wikik web site for bioperl...