FYI: BlastXML, Re: Bioperl: SeqAlign BLAST parsing

Wayne Parrott wayne@workingobjects.com
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 13:55:29 -0500

FYI: I developed two Java frameworks for manipulating BLAST results. The
first is the Blast Parsing Framework (BPF), a non-XML, SAX-like
framework for parsing and converting a BLAST result into a tokenized
stream, or an in-memory object model. The output can be easily mapped
into other document formats, e.g., HTML, table delimited records, etc.
The second is BlastXML which sits on top of the BPF and converts a BLAST
result into an XML document. BlastXML includes a DTD, example XSL for
IE5, and XML parser (IBM's xml4j).

The software is open-sourced and may be downloaded from the
WorkingObjects.com site, http://www.workingobjects.com. The DTD and
example BlastXML report are available at
http://workingobjects.com/blastxml. The site includes a sample report
that is formatted using XSL (IE5 support only).

Note - the software has only been tested on Java 1.1.X and the jar files
are known to be problematic under Java 1.2. I plan to address this soon
(my day job keeps getting in the way).

I've tinkered with the idea of porting to Perl but just haven't had the
time. If the group addresses this with a Perl implementation I would
like to participate in discussions regarding the DTD design prior to
implementation.

Please contact me if you desire more info or experience download or
operation problems.

Wayne
 Wayne Parrott                   email: wayne@workingobjects.com      |
 WorkingObjects.com              voice: (972)491-3704                 |
 "Distributed Object Technology    fax: (972)491-7284                 |
   for Life Sciences"              web: http://www.workingobjects.com |
 "The main thing, is to keep the main thing, the main thing"
   lyrics by Scott Krippayne