Bioperl: State of the art in perl Exception modules?

Ewan Birney birney@sanger.ac.uk
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 14:01:26 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Mr P.A. Van Heusden wrote:

> Hi Ewan
>
> I've now been playing with BioPerl exceptions for a while (as I convert my
> code into children of Bio::Root::Object), and they seem to work well (I
> like the debugging output they give when not caught). As you say, though,

sorry for teh delay in replying..

> it is pretty much an all or nothing case.
>
> There are essentially, as I see it, two ways forward for refining this:
>
> 1) Standardize on an 'exception string' like:
>
>  $self->throw('IO ERROR: blah blah');
>
> or
>
> 2) Allow for exception classes - so
>
>  $self->throw('IOERROR', 'blah blah');
>
> The tendency in exception schemes I've seen seems to be to use the second.
> Would it be worthwhile working on this for BioPerl?

Yes - I think it would. At the same time we could think about clearing up
the root object and discarding crud (A good thing in my view). Why
don't you make a proposal on guts about how it should work etc.