Bioperl: [announce] interactive perl shell (psh)...

Bob MacCallum R.MacCallum@icrf.icnet.uk
Wed, 19 May 1999 15:54:27 +0100

hello bioperlers,

well i've been sitting on this for some time now because i live in fear of
people actually using my code and emailing me all the time...  :-)

it's just a simple interactive perl shell (psh) which marcel turcotte (also
at the ICRF) and i developed about a year ago. with GNU ReadLine correctly
installed it gives full command-line editing, up-down history and
command/variable/hash/subroutine name completion

i think some of you might find it useful to use BioPerl modules and objects
in real time (and maybe end up with something a bit like the Darwin
system).  eventually i'll release it to the general perl community.

it also provides full access to unix commands/programs using perl syntax,
of course.  so you can do for example:
psh> ls '/etc', '/var';  # clever stuff...

i use it most of all for prototyping bits of code, or things like renaming
lots of files. but it hasn't replaced tcsh for me.  i know there are other
perl shells out there too.

if anyone is interested just email me and i'll send you the psh script and
a sample .pshrc [please allow 28 hours for delivery]

you will need the following installed (or later versions):

* perl 5.004 (i think 5.003 will work)
* GNU Readline Library 2.1 (C library)
* Term-ReadLine-Gnu-1.01 (Perl interface from CPAN)

hope to hear from you,

bob.

--
	   bob maccallum [phd] : email r.maccallum@icrf.icnet.uk
	biomolecular modelling lab : imperial cancer research fund