Bioperl: re: fasta def line problem

Lincoln Stein lstein@cshl.org
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 09:49:47 -0400

H'mmm.  BSML and BIOML seem to be taking two very different
approaches.  BIOML describes a high level data model for proteins,
nucleic acids, chromosomes, and taxa.  It's short and easy to
understand.

BSML (http://visualgenomics.com/sbir/rfc.htm) is much more low-level
and detailed.  It looks like the union of the ASN.1, PIR, EMBL and
SwissProt schemas.  There's also a lot of stuff in BSML that has
nothing to do with data, but rather with data presentation, such as
scales, colors, line widths and patterns.  BSML's DTD is HUMUNGOUS.
On the plus side, the company has put together a working Windows98
browser that is actually pretty nice.

What is the status of BIOML?  Who's working on it?

Lincoln