[BioLib-dev] Google Summer of Code project

Colin M. Diesh colin.diesh at Colorado.EDU
Mon Mar 28 02:36:45 UTC 2011

Hello,
I'm interested in the BioLib project for using JNI to include
Java libraries into Biolib.
One part of this project is to create a proof of concept
mapping, for example, using the BioJAVA library. As I
understand it, the gsoc project would provide "... the
infrastructure to map existing C/C++ (_and Java_) libraries to
Perl/Ruby/Python, with R and JAVA planned for".

I browsed this
http://thebird.nl/biolib/Adding_BioLib_BAM_SAM_Support.html to
see how Biolib is used to map the libraries. I have a lot of
experience with C, but no direct experience with JNI or SWIG,
so I wanted to get some feedback about this project for adding
Java support. I am also interested in mapping other libraries
(EMBOSS) if maybe there are serious obstacles to this project

Sincerely
-Colin