[BioLib-dev] Google Summer of Code project ideas

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Mon Mar 7 17:11:54 UTC 2011

Thanks Rob,

BioLib has been dormant lately, but I expect it to pick up soon again,
as I have an agreement with Peter Rice of EMBOSS fame to start
mapping functions.

For BioLib there are three potential subjects:

1. Start up on EMBOSS bindings. This requires creating a new API, as
EMBOSS was not designed as an API, though the back-end libraries can
be used.

2. One wish of mine is to be able to call into the JVM. This is
hard-core stuff, but not impossible. It will allow the use of
libraries written in Scala, Clojure, Java...

3. Bindings for the D-language. D is something of a surprise.
Functional, concurrent and as fast as C. Exciting stuff. Bindings can
be done as D supports a C interface.

Remember, the idea of BioLib is that any mappings can bind against
Ruby, Perl, Python, and soon Java and R. I.e. I want to further
expand on the language 'bridging' concept.

Anyone else have a personal interest in one of above projects? I am
not interested in mentoring a student alone.

Pj.