[Biojava-l] [Biojava-dev] Increasing Java version requirement for BioJava

Steve Darnell darnells at dnastar.com
Tue Jan 12 17:58:02 UTC 2016

Hi Spencer,

TL;DR +1 Java 8

I am a senior scientist and team lead at DNASTAR. After nearly 2 years since general availability, we have begun our migration to Java 8. The new language features in Java 8 make it more desirable for development than Java 7 and it is the only version of Java with public updates (all others require paid support).  Java 8 is also widely deployable.

* Windows: Vista, 7, 8, Server 2008
* Mac OS X: 10.8+
* Linux: Oracle 5.5+, RHEL 5.5+, Suse 10 SP2+, Ubuntu 12.04+
* Solaris: 10 Update 9+

I feel we have been pretty conservative with our decision to upgrade. I also recommend BioJava skip to Java 8.

-Steve