[Biojava-l] Introducing a mutation in a DNA sequence

Ben Stöver benstoever at uni-muenster.de
Thu Apr 2 09:02:00 UTC 2015

Hi all,

thank you all for your answers and comments. I already mentioned the
possibility of using SequenceView to introduce sequence changes or to use the
Edit class (which in the end relies on a list of Sequence objects that are
concatenated similar to the way a SequenceView implementation would work, as
far as I saw that).

Although this probably works perfectly fine for a lot of tasks, I think it
would have disadvantages when sequentially applying lots of mutations/edits to
a sequence (e.g. in an (GUI based) alignment editor with Sequence objects as
data backend or an application that simulates evolution of sequences along a
large phylogenetic tree by sequentially applying mutations). In such cases the
resulting sequence (containing all mutations/edits) would be a sequence view
on the top a stack of other sequence views (each of them defining one
mutation). Depending on the index, a call of getCompoundAt() would lead to a
trace back of the whole stack in the worst case (if that compound was present
in the initial sequence). (I hope this was more understandable this time?)

For such applications it would be nice to have a Sequence implementation
(extending interface) or anything similar that is able to really edit the
underlying sequence without creating a stack of views with increasing size. I
have some applications that would benefit from this (e.g.
http://bioinfweb.info/LibrAlign/ ), but of course I would like to ask the
community how relevant such a feature would be in general.

@Andreas: Why would I not have an EditableSequence interface extend from
Sequence?

Generally I would have nothing against this, because all methods from Sequence
could be inherited and implementations of EditableSequence could be passed to
methods which have parameters of type Sequence. (This was my initial idea, I
posted in November.) Of course that would still violate the idea of atomic
sequences a bit, because methods with parameters of type Sequence would have
to check if the passed objects also implement EditableSequence to know that
they cannot assume their contents to be immutable. In that case such methods
could e.g. throw an exception if they cannot handle EditableSequences, but
each method out there would have to implement this behavior.

Best
Ben