[Biojava-l] Brainstorming feature requests

Spencer Bliven sbliven at ucsd.edu
Mon May 12 08:56:15 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

The recent thread on the dev list about participating in BioJava made me
realize that our list of feature requests is pretty sparse and
disorganized. In the current state of things, I think we are missing out on
getting contributions from new developers who want to help but don't know
where to start. The github
issues<https://github.com/biojava/biojava/issues>consist mostly of
very technical bugs best fixed by the developer who wrote
the code, and the wiki
page<http://biojava.org/wiki/BioJava3_Feature_Requests>is short,
general, and hasn't been updated in a while.

Let's brainstorm some more feature requests. Where are the holes in our
API? Are there any algorithms that would be useful to have in Java? I know
that I have a list of features which I plan to implement "some day" but
never bothered to write down anywhere. Let's add all those ideas to github,
so that potential contributors or potential summer of code students can get
some ideas. I'll start by creating issues for the current feature requests.

-Spencer

P.S. Should we use the 'enhancement' or 'new feature' label on github for
feature requests? They are used inconsistently right now.