[Biojava-l] Google Summer of Code 2014 - Call for project ideas

Amr AL-HOSSARY amr_alhossary at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 6 09:56:03 UTC 2014

I think we can start thinking in redesigning the structure module, getting
rid of the current design, which is tightly coupled to PDB representation.

Some of the details would include:
- Separating I/O from the model (i.e. creating specialized I/O classes
PDBReadr/Writer, MOL2Reader/Writer, etc).
- redefining terms like group, molecule, bond, and model. As well as
redistributing attributes among them. (e.g. a model is an entity that has
properties, not just a list of chains. Also an atom has more properties like
partial charge. a carbon atom can be SP2 or SP3).

If the idea is accepted in principle, we can start discuss it here or
off-list.

Amr

Best Regards,
Amr AL-HOSSARY

Amr Ali AL-HOSSARY |   Ph.D. Student | International PhD program in
Computational Biology and Bioinformatics | School of Computer
Engineering |   Nanyang Technological University | Singapore (GMT+8)