[Biojava-l] issue with translating codons with N

Nick England nickengland at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 12:45:55 UTC 2013

Hara,

Hmm this is rather odd. I get the same issue with that sequence with a
custom engine as well.

My code has:
Builder builder = new TranscriptionEngine.Builder();
    builder.initMet(false);
    builder.translateNCodons(true);
    builder.trimStop(false);
    TranscriptionEngine engine = builder.build();
    Sequence<AminoAcidCompound> seq=engine.translate(new
DNASequence("GTNTGTTAGTGT"));
    assertEquals("XC*C", seq.toString());
    Sequence<AminoAcidCompound> seq2=engine.translate(new
DNASequence("ANAANG"));
    System.out.println(seq2);
the first sequence translates as expected, but your sequence is translating
as HR, when it should be XX. This looks like a pretty bad bug!

Nick