[Biojava-l] [Job] Take the RCSB PDB site to the next level

Peter Rose pwrose at ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 11 18:12:56 UTC 2013

The RCSB PDB at the University of California, San Diego is looking for a talented Java Developer/Lead Web Architect:

The RCSB Protein Data Bank (http://www.rcsb.org) is one of the premier biological databases worldwide with a growing user base of currently about 300,000 unique users per month. We constantly strive to make our site perform better, make it look nicer and offer new and exciting scientific applications to our diverse user base that includes scientists, students, teachers and other researchers. We offer a flexible work environment in a dynamic team.

We offer the challenge to take the RCSB PDB web site to the next level. For this we are looking for a lead architect and Java web developer. You will provide expertise and leadership in enhancing the data warehouse and middle layer of the PDB website's 3-tier architecture by working with a team of scientists and software developers.

Translate new and emergent requirements for the website into strategic plans to select the best web technologies and architectures for the PDB site. Author functional requirements, technical design documents, and project plans. Incorporate advanced scientific query and analysis tools, and novel representation of results in the web application. Provide technical leadership, guidance, and training on new web technologies to RCSB team and provide high level and implementation level suggestions for improving design, coding, and testing methodologies.  Develop best project management and software engineering practices.  Our technology stack includes Java, MySQL, Hibernate, and Memcached.
UC San Diego is an Equal Opportunity / Staff Affirmative Action Employer that values a diverse workforce and provides reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities. We offer a generous benefits package: http://www.sdsc.edu/about/Careers.html.

Please apply online at: http://jobs.ucsd.edu/bulletin/job.aspx?cat=information&sortby=post&jobnum_in=64091
QUALIFICATIONS

*         BS Degree in Computer Science or comparable combination of education and experience with considerable focus in Java software development.

*         Established demonstrated work experience in the role of an architect and developer on medium to large size database-driven web applications using Java technology and standards.

*         Advanced experience with database design, Structured Query Language and RDBMS's such as MySQL, and object-relational mappings. Expertise in web application server (i.e., Tomcat) administration, configuration, trouble shooting, and performance tuning.

*         Established expertise in software life cycle methodologies. Experience with build tools such as Maven and Ant, and continuous integration systems such as Cruise Control. Experience with project tracking tools such as Jira .

Peter Rose, Ph.D.
Scientific Lead
RCSB Protein Data Bank (http://www.rcsb.org)

San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC) and
Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Pharmaceutical Sciences Building
University of California San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, Mailcode 0743
La Jolla, CA 92093-0743