[Biojava-l] DNA assembly

Spencer Bliven sbliven at ucsd.edu
Tue Apr 23 21:38:25 UTC 2013

If you just have two contiguous sequences to align, you should just use a
global sequence alignment. See
http://biojava.org/wiki/BioJava:CookBook3:PSAfor how to do this in
BioJava, or it might be easier to just use one of the
online services for this such as http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Tools/psa/.

On the other hand, if you actually want to do genome assembly (ie from many
overlapping reads), then there are much more computationally efficient
methods. BioJava isn't really intended for large-scale genome assembly, so
you'd want to use a sequence assembly
tool<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequence_assembly>(eg Velvet).

-Spencer