[Biojava-l] [Biojava-dev] Port an Algorithm to Java

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Tue Mar 27 18:06:27 UTC 2012

Hi Dragos,

many years of research have been put into both Blast and Hmmer and it
will be highly unlikely that you will be able to come up with
something better in a summer. As such best to focus on getting a plain
port. If you get ideas how to make the algorithms perform better
during that time, probably best to feed back that information to the
original developers.

> Secondly, converting C/C++ source code into Java would be a very interesting
> and challenging task for me. At least for the C++ part I am thinkig to
> approach the use oh JNI, but is it possible to occur problems with
> portability, building, or JVM's stability? I have also read about NestedVM
> which provides binary translation for Java Bycode, and this approach could
> be useful.

Scooter, do you want to answer this one?

Thanks,

Andreas