[Biojava-l] Porting an Algorithm to Java GSoC 2012

Russ Kepler russ at kepler-eng.com
Mon Mar 19 20:48:57 UTC 2012

On Monday, March 19, 2012 01:10:40 PM Andreas Prlic wrote:

> You are right, this is on a high level how such a conversion could be
> performed.

In my experience Java makes a poor C++ (or C) emulator.  The "convert C++ to
Java" might make an "OK" first pass but in the end you're going to want to
recode critical sections in original Java.  I've found that the really big
performance improvements are in using smarter algorithms in Java vs. some of
the 'brute force' approaches that work in C.