[Biojava-l] GSoC 2012- Port an Algorithm to Java

Spencer Bliven sbliven at ucsd.edu
Sun Mar 18 20:47:10 UTC 2012

Unfortunately, HMMER is licensed as GPL. As such, we can't port it to
BioJava or even link against it with JNI. A 2009
post<http://selab.janelia.org/people/eddys/blog/?p=127>indicates that
they are not interested in re-licensing HMMER under a less
restrictive license. I think we should move away from any HMMER-port
project, and focus on porting other important algorithms such as BLAST (public
domain<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/IEB/ToolBox/CPP_DOC/lxr/source/scripts/projects/blast/LICENSE>
).

I went ahead and removed HMMER from the GSoC wiki
page<http://biojava.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2012>.
I was trying to think of other LGPL-compatable bioinformatics
projects<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_bioinformatics_software>which
would be nice to port to biojava. Maybe a sequence browser, such as
incorporating/linking the Integrated Genome
Browser<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Genome_Browser>?
Anyone have ideas other than BLAST?

-Spencer