[Biojava-l] should biojava svn be moved to github ?

Spencer Bliven sbliven at ucsd.edu
Sat Aug 4 03:54:08 UTC 2012

I'm all for it, provided (as others have mentioned)

   1. Eclipse support is now good enough for day-to-day stuff (maybe
   falling back to command line for complicated merges and branches)
   2. It integrates with Maven for releases

I was also slightly concerned with the overhead of storing the full git
repository. Surprisingly, a git checkout doesn't have that much more
overhead than a SVN checkout, despite storing full histories for each file.

Biojava trunk checkout
Bare files: 29MB
SVN checkout: 60MB (107% overhead)
GIT checkout: 74MB (155% overhead)
However, GIT did take substantially longer to download from github than SVN
took from the biojava server. Since server speeds likely differ
significantly, that's not apples-to-apples, but it might be realistic.

SVN checkout: 1m9.333s
GIT checkout: 4m50.871s

Overall I'm in favor of making the switch.

-Spencer