[Biojava-l] should biojava svn be moved to github ?

Michael Heuer heuermh at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 15:57:25 UTC 2012

-0

I use github for quite a few personal things and mercurial via Google
Code on a different project and while I think there are some benefits
to the distributed model I don't understand how it would work from the
point of view of a release manager.  Does anyone have any pointers to
documentation on how to manage and cut a release from a distributed
repository?

With the current svn mirror on github, developers can already fork and
create pull requests, they just need to be applied back to the svn
repository.  Is there any advantage to moving the repository to
github?  Are there any people who will start contributing because the
repository is on github that are unwilling to do so with the current
model (send patches to the mailing list or issue tracker)?

My current client just started a new project on Google Code and we had
a similar conversation:  subversion on Google Code vs. git/mercurial
on Google Code vs. git at github vs. subversion on Google Code + read
only git mirror at github vs. subversion on Google Code + read/write
git mirror at github.  In the end we went with subversion on Google
Code with possibility of git mirror later because we understand how
the Maven release process works with subversion and we liked the issue
tracker at Google Code a lot better than the one at github.

   michael