[Biojava-l] [Biojava-dev] GSoC 2012

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 23 22:55:55 UTC 2012

Hello Dragos-Bogdan,

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Dragos-Bogdan Sima
<simadragosbogdan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> How come there was no BioJava project accepted this year,
> and only BioRuby and BioPython?
> Was the interest greater on those languages or simply the
> proposals were better?

There should be an official email from the OBF representative
today (or tomorrow in my time zone) announcing the results -
but I imagine as one of the applicants you've been contacted
via Google already.

So for now I'll briefly confirm that, yes, the number of applications
by Bio* project varied, but the student proposals are ranked on
merit regardless of which Bio* project they are for. See:
http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_Application_Evaluation

This is linked to from the main OBF GSoC page,
http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code

Regards,

Peter