[Biojava-l] BioJava in education

simon rayner simon.rayner.cn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 23:18:33 UTC 2011

i've been trying to use biojava as a segment of an advanced bioinformatics
course for masters students but these are students who are studying
virology with a specific interest in bioinformatics.  Nevertheless, some
students take to it very easily but, for me, it seems the major drawback
with biojava is it is a lot more disjointed compared to bioperl,. By this i
mean, it's not always easy to find the classes you need, or if the class is
available, it was broken during a previous release, or simply wasn't
included in the latest version. I think biojava is the way to go for
training and a course development project might be the way to get a more
cohesive documentation set.