[Biojava-l] Final Application (Paiu Alexandru ) (added project plan)

Alexandru Paiu paiualex12 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 16:17:35 UTC 2011

*1.      **1.Your complete contact information*, including full name,
physical address, preferred email address, and telephone number, plus other
pertinent contact information such as IRC handles, etc.

Full Name : Paiu Alexandru

Address : Country Romania , city Constanta , Bld. Aurel Vlaicu , Nr. 41 ,
Bl. Pc1 sc. B , Et 6 , Apt. 46

E-mail : paiualex12 at google.com or paiualex12 at yahoo.com

Telephone number : 40733924684

*2.       **2.Why you are interested in the p*roject you are proposing and
are well-suited to undertake it.

This project suits me perfectly , because the interested students should
have a general knowledge of core Java programming, knowledge of
multi-threaded programming . I’ve started learning Java for 1 and a half
years , and I used a lot of Threads in applications and projects .

This is the only project that I apply , because I haven’t found a more
interesting project than this one .

*3.       **3.A summary of your programming *experience and skills.

I’ve did a lot of miniproject and applications for school and for me . I’ve
made projects like :

a)      Lanchat Client-Server using TCP/IP – I wrote two applications : one
for the client and one for the server . I used an JApplet for the client
with Swing elements . I’ve used Threads especially in the server sider
application , and sockets

b)      Lanchat Peer-to-Peer using UDP and multicasting . I wrote only a
application for  the client . I used Threads and multicast sockets .

c)       A project for administrating a database , using a JApplet with
Connector/J and MySql . It has to applications , one for clients and for the
administrator .

*4.        **4.Programs or projects you have previously* authored or
contributed to  available as open-source, including, if applicable, any past
Summer of Code involvement.

I haven’t worked yet for any open-source and a I haven’t any past experience
with GSoc , and it’s the first time a apply for a open-source project . I
haven’t either worked for a company .

*5.       **5. A project plan for the project* you are proposing, even if
your proposed project is directly based on one of the proposed project ideas
for member projects.

I wish to apply to the project called *Amino Acids physic-chemical
properties calculation .*

I’ve been thinking since some time of a possible implementation and I
stopped at a single one (that I think it’s the best) .

I will use two main classes . One that will represent an atom of a substance
( for example He , H , O , etc ) , that will have params like : atom weight
, name , abbreviation , valence .  I’ll use the second class for
constructing amino-acids from this class . So , the second class will extend
the class of atoms . So for example I have to initiate a molecule of H20
(water) . I will have a constructor with a string param , that will build
the substance . For example , let’s say that the second class it’s called
Aminoacids , and the first one Atoms .

Let’s say I choose from a Combo box H2O ( it’s only a example) . Then I sad
the string “ H2O1” to the aminoacids class , to intiate an object of
aminoacid . That constructor will be evaluated char by char . If it’s found
a char or two chars that means that I have to initiate an atom of that char
or chars . If it’s found a number , then that means that it’s the multiplier
of that atom before it .

So the class aminoacids will have a private Object [] array , in which will
be number and objects called atoms .

So for H20 the array will look like this : array[0] = atom of H (Hidrogen) ,
array[1]=2 , array[2]=O (Oxigen) , array[3]=1 .

All the know substances will be in a file called atoms.txt with atom mass ,
name , abbreviation etc . The atoms class will have a method to add new
atoms to the list .

And for calculating the molecular weigth the algorithm is very simple . We
already have array={H,2,O,1} , and the atoms will have as params the atoms
weight so all we have to do is just :

Mol. Weight=H.weight*2+O.weigth.*1

The plan for implementing :

-          May 20-June 20 – implementing the two classes and the first two
methods

-          June 20 – 20 July – Implementing the rest of the methods

-          20 July – until the final – final retouching , docummentation for
end users , and 1  method proposed by me

-

*6.       **6.Any obligations, vacations, or plans* for the summer that may
require scheduling during the GSoC work period.

I will have School final exams during 20 May – 20 June . So I won’t be able
to work at maximum capacity . That’s all . I

*7. PS *

I hope you've got my short coding exercise program ( I received a kinda
error for sending a mail will atachement)

thanks