[Biojava-l] Fwd: [Biojava-dev] Google Summer of Code 2011

Peter Troshin p.v.troshin at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Mar 25 14:45:34 UTC 2011

Dear Nirmal,

Thanks for your interest in GSoC and the project! My name is Peter and I
am the mentor for the project you are interested in. Andreas has kindly
sent your email to me.

 >>>I participated in GSoC 2010 for Apache Derby (RDBMS in Java) project
and successfully finished the project.
I have recently finished a course module on Bio Informatics and have a basic
understanding about few algorithms (Nussinov, Profile HMM, Needle-Wucsh
etc.),
which made me interested in this area of computer science.

It is very good to have someone with prior experience in GSoC, Java and
Bioinformatics, this must help you to develop a compelling proposal.

 >>>I would like to contribute to Bio-Java in this summer, would you
please direct me to
relevant sources which I should start reading on and also possible
guidelines would
be highly appreciated.

The description of the idea, selection criteria and the coding exercise
can be found here: http://biojava.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code

The guidelines for GSoC students is available from
http://open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code

The ideas behind the project are really simple and most of the methods
are not new. So you have a benefit of being able to compare the results
of you implementation with others.
To get a better understanding of what the project involve I’d suggest
you to read more about each of the calculations involved. Google is your
friend here. There are plenty of other methods which would be good to
add to BioJava, to have a better idea of what that might be I'd suggest
you read through the Expasy web site tools section
http://expasy.org/tools/ <http://expasy.org/tools/protparam-doc.html>.
As you studied BioInformatics you should have no difficulties
understanding these.

I hope I addressed your questions.

Regards,
Peter