[Biojava-l] Informatics job opportunity at NESCent

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at drycafe.net
Fri Mar 4 23:26:25 UTC 2011

(Apologies if you receive multiple copies, and also if you are not
interested in job opportunities.  In my defense, quite a few people on
Bio* lists might qualify for (let alone enjoy) the position. And if
you know someone who might be interested please forward.)

User Interface Design and Web Application Developer

The National Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent) seeks a creative
and enthusiastic individual to design user interfaces and web
applications for scientific applications. The incumbent will work as
part of a small informatics team in close collaboration with domain
scientists.

NESCent is an NSF-funded center dedicated to cross-disciplinary
research in evolutionary science. Our informatics team works closely
with visiting and resident scientists to support their custom software
and database development needs. All NESCent software products are open-
source, and the Center has a number of initiatives to actively promote
collaborative development of community software resources
(informatics.nescent.org). Above all, we are enthusiastic about our
work, about the mission of the Center, and about the contribution of
informatics to that mission.

Job description: The incumbent will design and develop user interfaces
and web applications for databases and other software tools for
sponsored scientists and staff. The job responsibilities include all
stages of the software development process, including requirements
gathering, design, implementation, release packaging and
documentation, as part of a small team (typically 2-3 individuals)
following project management best practices. We expect the incumbent
to present their work at conferences and contribute to publications
with scientific collaborators; interact regularly with visiting and
resident scientists, other members of the informatics team and Center
staff; and generally serve as an expert resource for Center personnel.
The position provides opportunities for professional development. Most
informatics staff work at our Durham NC offices, located adjacent to
Duke University, but we do support a wide range of technologies for
virtual communication with off-site staff and collaborators.

Required Qualifications:
* Demonstrated success collaborating with clients on custom software
solutions
* Experience with various stages of the software development cycle
* Expertise in development and testing of user interface designs
* Excellent communication skills, both virtual and face-to-face
* A four-year college degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or a
related field

Preferred Qualifications:
* M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or related field
along with demonstrated interest in science, particularly biology
* Expertise in rapid application development and respective
programming technologies and languages (e.g., modern scripting
languages and web-application frameworks such as Python/Django, Ruby/
Ruby-on-Rails, and Perl/Catalyst), fluency in Java programming, and
prior experience in relational database programming (PostgreSQL or
MySQL)
* Expertise in dynamic and interactive web technologies (JavaScript,
CGI), web service (SOAP, REST, XML, JSON) and semantic web technologies
* Experience with open-source, and collaborative, software
development, software usability design and assessment
* Expertise in graphic design, data visualization and/or scientific
data integration

How to apply: Please send cover letter, resume and contact information
for three references to Dr. Karen Cranston, Training Coordinator and
Bioinformatics Project Manager (karen.cranston at nescent.org). Review of
applications will begin March 21, 2011. Informal inquires or requests
for additional information may be directed to Dr. Cranston by email or
phone (+1-919-613-2275).

: Hilmar Lapp -:- Durham, NC -:- hlapp at drycafe dot net :