[Biojava-l] binning structures by quality....

Jay Vyas jayunit100 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 16:31:32 UTC 2011

Hi Guys : I'm trying to bin some structures, about 30 of them.  I was
wondering if anyone knows the upper "limit" for a structure to have a
correct backbone, in RMSD units.  For example, a structure bundle with RMSD
of 9 would clearly have an undefined backbone, whereas a structure bundle
with an RMSD of 1 would definetely be precise enough to convey backbone
information.

I wanted a more precise bound.  I'm thinking, by eye, that anything above 4
angstroms is to imprecise to convey a backbone.

But I figured maybe there was a formal treatment of such RMSD "categories"
somewhere.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

--
 Jay Vyas