[Biojava-l] Project Ideas GSOC 2011

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Wed Feb 9 05:49:23 UTC 2011

Hi Udana,

It is a bit early, but given the success form last year I think it is
for sure that BioJava (as part of the the Open Bioinformatics
Foundation) will apply again to become a mentoring organisation.
Google will announce the list of accepted mentoring organizations on
March 18th, afterwards the time to discuss proposals will start.

http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/faqs#timeline

Last year we had several Mentor proposed projects. Google is also very
interested in seeing student proposed projects and they recommend
those due to their high success rate. If you want to prepare a
proposal you could already start thinking of what kind of project you
would like to work on. Similarly, everybody else who wants to propose
a project and perhaps become a mentor can also start to think about
that. Still we will have to wait until March 18th before we will know
if there is actually any funding this year.

Andreas